Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What to call it...

Greetings all!

Thanks for taking little time to check this out and to contribute to the process here. I decided a blog might be an easier way to get input on this topic as it makes it easier for new people to come into the discussion and see the history of what has been discussed. I don't intend for this to be a normal blog in any sense- just using the space to have a conversation.

Back to the topic at hand:

I am working on a new project for XA and I was hoping to get a little creative input. The project, something I have become EXTREMELY passionate about is to create a set of resources that will enable campus pastors and churches to lead a series of events, especially classes, on the themes of justice in the Bible and the application of those principles to current, real-world concerns. Most of the info I'm gathering is coming directly out of my seminary classes.

Currently I need to find a name for the overall project. This would encompass the class, dorm talks, film screenings, retreat break-out sessions, service projects, small group resources and the like. Here are the two I'm kicking around:

  1. Dikaios Project ("di-kai-os" with the emphasis on the first syllable "di") **NOTE that this is a correction from the original email that was sent.**
    • This is from the NT Greek and basically means "Just Project" or "a project that is just." This seems a bit bold, but I can envision it being presented as much as a prayer as a statement: Lord, help us to make this effort one that lives up to your standards of justice and compassion for your people.
    • This also has the advantage of being linked directly to the Bible, making clear the Christian grounding of the effort.
    • I can envision a logo that has dikaios placed before several areas that the bible calls us to seek it in: dikaios life, dikaios faith, dikaios relationships, dikaios commerce, dikaios environment, dikaios politics, etc.
    • I know the Greek could be a bit clumsy, but I've heard of groups with similar names that have really caught on (i.e. Kairos at the Falls Church in DC)
  2. Project Justice
    • This is easier to use and remember. It could sound a bit odd, but I was told that it sounds in tune with other things of our day and culture- like Project Runway... Not sure what to do with that one
    • We could still use the dikaios idea in a motto or logo or something here as well
Any thoughts on these? Other possibilities?

Thanks for being willing to take a look at this! Your input is VERY MUCH appreciated.

May the peace, truth, and justice of God be with you,

--Randy

9 comments:

  1. I will repost emailed comments on the conversation to get things moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may have changed with the pronunciation correction, but one of you wrote:

    I would vote for the latter. Personally, I don't think I could explain to someone how to pronounce dikaios without giggling. That may sound immature, but it is nonetheless true, lol. Aside from that, I like the sound of "Project Justice." It's simple, elegant, and semi-alliterative! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. And another:

    I actually REALLY REALLY like the Greek. It sounds better, isn't as cliche, and gives you a good opening to explain what YOUR vision for the project is. This is good because other more common phrases/words carry quite a lot more unintended connotations.

    If you want to stick with "Project Justice" I suggest that you cross off the Justice part. I think it is way better to not have "Justice" in the title because a lot of people have had negative experiences with people acting in the name of "Justice." The biblical justice you are talking about is also a lot different than most people's ideas of justice. It could simply be "Our Project" or "Project One" or something like that.

    (I still like the greek better)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just in:

    My initial thought is that I would be cautious to use Dikaios Project, if only because of the difficulty in saying it. As someone who is an immensely difficult last name, I would encourage you not to create problems for yourself if you can help it :)

    Project Justice is not bad, but doesn't have "kick" to it. I will brainstorm some more, because I don't want to merely shoot down your ideas and not make any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. social injustices remind me that we have the right to live, but the action of fools, extremists, perverts, and ignorance take that away from others. It's like they need to be reminded that they're taking away life and that people have the right to live and be just as much as they do. those are my initial thoughts so i came to something like "Humanity 101. After all, these are real world concerns caused and ended by we...humans.

    While you have your reservations about Dikaios, I think it's good because you get to culture people on the Greek language. The more people mess it up, the more they'll get to learn what it really is. So i'm liking Dikaios too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thoughts, Marlon. I really do like the Greek myself, I just think those who have communicated concerns about people remembering it are on to something. Even so, I have seen several Greek names for groups catch on: Kairos (appointed time/season), Koionia (fellowship), Agape (love), Zoe (life)... The first two are less common, but I've seen multiple successful groups use both. The last two are almost cliche at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you may want to stay away from Project Justice because it is so similar to Project Rescue and Project Runway, etc. It's a great name that encompasses what you are doing but sounds somewhat trendy because of the others out there. I'll post later when I have something positive and creative to contribute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's an additional thought that I've been kicking around. Richard Sterns, the World Vision President, has a book called the Hole in Our Gospel. The "hole" he speaks of is that most of the West has eliminated much of the good news that the Bible proclaims to the poor, oppressed, and forgotten. The Assemblies of God (Chi Alpha's parent orginization) has a motto: All the Gospel. I wonder if there is a classy way to play off of it or otherwise use it to speak to what we are working on... It has the potential to be really cheesy, but I think it may also have some potential.

    Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some have questioned the "project" term, but another thought...

    "The Wisdom Project"
    Isaiah 11 speaks of the spirit of wisdom resting on the messiah leading to just action in the world. Or, "Wisdom for Justice"

    Not sure where to go with it, but other word/concepts that resonate with me are patient justice, humble justice, activist humility. I also thought our class, Biblical Global Justice was clear and effective

    ReplyDelete